Friday, February 26, 2010

The Graduate

Today, I graduated from Physical Therapy for the 2nd time in a year. This time felt infinitely different from the last time in every way. I'm feeling strong, hopeful and excited for the future.

My PT taught me the best trick today. You know those expensive stick massager things that they sell in fancy running stores for sore leg muscles? Use a rolling pin instead. We all know I own at least one of those!


(source)

I also talked with her about my pace. She confirmed my suspicion that I'm getting ahead of myself a bit. If I need to continue running 14 or 15-minute miles while I build up my endurance, it's more than okay. It's going to take time... a lot of time... to get up to a "socially acceptable" speed after an entire sedentary lifetime. Luckily, I'm doing this right. Safely and slowly, in ways that will minimize my potential for injury. I have plenty of time, and am setting very manageable goals. Also, since I'm technically training for a half marathon, my head should be wrapping itself more around distance than speed at this point.

She gave me a few drills to use occasionally to make my form and pace more efficient, and we talked about paces per minute and all kinds of technical things that I'm not quite ready for. Almost, but not quite. For now, my goal is to finish out the Couch to 5k feeling strong, and just in time for our first 5k, coming up in just a few weeks!

I'll finish up with a funny story: This morning when my PT asked me "are you ready to graduate?" I started a lengthy rant about how June can't come soon enough. Turns out she meant graduate from PT. Yeah.

2 comments:

  1. Yay!! Congratulations! She's totally right: don't worry about your speed right now. (This is much easier for me to say about someone else than it is to apply it to myself.) I hadn't heard the rolling pin trick, but I had heard that you could use a foam roller (like the ones used for IT bands). Cool! I didn't know you had a Silpin... lucky you!

    May I make a post request? I'd love to hear about the drills your PT suggested, if you get a chance and don't mind sharing them with the world. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a marble rolling pin and a Teflon one - hmmmm. Can't wait to give them a try ; )

    ReplyDelete