Friday, April 23, 2010

Climate Change

Hi from Palm Springs! I'm here visiting my dad. It is a stunningly gorgeous day. So I went out for my run this morning, and it pretty much knocked me flat on my ass. I know that the climate is dramatically different, so I've made sure to hydrate extra since I arrived yesterday, and took my jogging pace pretty easy. But ohh boy, is it dry here. The temperature is beautiful, but the sun was beating down on me, zapping my energy. I felt like it was following me around just to torture me. Just a complete 180 from the Oregon moisture that I'm used to.

I cut my 30 minutes a little short because I was feeling so dehydrated. But I still feel really good about going out today. It's hard to find motivation when I'm not in my normal routine, but I mustered enough to get my heart going today. Also? Running around my dad's neighborhood... not too shabby!

Today's Run

I'm curious what the climate will be in Orlando this fall. The race is at 10 pm, so hopefully any weirdness with humidity or possible high temperatures will be mitigated by the late start time.

5 comments:

  1. It's part of the opening festivities of the Food & Wine festival at Epcot, culminating in a big party at midnight for the runners. I'm really pleased with that time because we almost always run now at around 7 pm, which is definitely my preference (vs. early morning)... and which, of course, is 10 pm in Orlando!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so my kind of event, late-night! Erm...not really late for me... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can tell you for a fact that in Orlando in October it will still be overwhelmingly humid, even that late at night. This is where I insert my sad panda face for you. However, the temp will be settled to a semi-reasonable number, you'll just have to deal with the abundant stickiness. Still so very happy for you!! :)

    Rachael

    ReplyDelete
  4. have you practiced drinking while running? it's smart to start that soon... it's tougher on some than others (personally, it gives me belching issues!)

    ReplyDelete