Sunday, April 25, 2010

200 Situps

A key to success in training to run long distances is cross-training. Especially for someone like me who has no strength or tone to build from. To me, that means doing non-running exercise-ish things on days when I'm not running. In addition to my physical therapy exercises (which consist of a lot of ankle weights and some other random lower-body strengthening), I started the 200 Situps program last week.


source

The program is simply a structured training routine to build up to 200 situps in 6 weeks. It's really similar to Couch to 5k in that way, and like I mentioned in a recent post, that structure makes all the difference for me. I got the iPhone app, because I needed another green app to complete my app color-coding scheme (KIDDING! ...sorta), but it's not at all necessary. The whole plan is laid out on the website.

Today was Week 1 Day 2, and I'm loving it so far.

There's also a 100 pushups plan, 200 squats (WHAT??!?!), and 25 pullups. If this goes well, I'll try pushups next!

I know one bloggie friend is already on board (hi N!), doing both the situps and the pushups... who else is with us??

2 comments:

  1. Hi! Just wanted to say that I like your blog(s). I think it's really interesting to hear about how your training is going, since I'm training for a half in september also! I think I'm going to try this hundred pushups program, since I swim for cross training but am super slow because I have no upper body strength! Thanks for posting :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm jumping on board the 200 sit-up plan. I'm also doing the 100 push-up challenge. I love how the plans really make you focus on your form instead of instantly jumping into quantity. I just started this week so I'm a week behind, but hanging in there with you none-the-less :-)

    ReplyDelete