Friday, January 22, 2010

Couch to 5k

The Couch to 5k is a training program designed for people who have never run before to train for a 5k race (3.1 miles).

The program is 9 weeks long, with 3 workouts per week, and it uses interval training (alternating running and walking) to build up endurance gradually and safely. We've been running on Sundays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays, and it's become a part of our weekly routine. No questions asked, no excuses, those are the days that we run.

Each workout has a 5-minute warmup and cool-down. We're lucky enough to live about 5 minutes away from a fantastic bark chip running path (in one of the best running cities in the world), so running outside is safe and convenient.

I'm not sure how people do this without the aid of the fabulous iPhone app. Come to think of it, I'm not sure how people live without an iPhone. But anyways, there are a few Couch to 5k apps on the market, but the one we use is made by Felt Tip Inc. You play your own music, and the app tells you when to run and when to walk, so you don't have to constantly be looking at the timer.

Since I'm very new to running, I run really slowly. Instead of getting ahead of myself and pushing my body farther than it wants to go, I'm just focusing on building endurance and getting through the timed runs feeling healthy, which this program really encourages. The times, distances, and speeds will come later, and I'm fine with that.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck on your training! You totally can do this!!!! :)

    Interval training is a great way to start running - that is how I started and I still use them all the time for hills and speed burst to try to help with my weight loss goal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited about following your adventure! That last paragraph really rings true for me. It's so hard not to let my body go as fast as it wants to go, but going slowly is the only way I make it through the longer distances without crashing.

    As for interval training: I'm going to disagree politely with Tara. I've heard from various sources that speed work and hill sets can more easily lead to injury when it's done without a good year or two of consistent base running. There are different schools of thought, and of course I'm not a coach or a trainer, so do what feels right for you. In a sense, what you're doing now is already intervals--it's just a different kind of intervals. But especially given your recent knee issue, I wouldn't push the speed for a good while. YMMV.

    ReplyDelete