Friday, January 22, 2010

On Feet

One of the reasons that running hadn't occurred to me as an exercise option in the past (besides the fact that it's hard and it's considered "exercise") is that I have funky feet. They overpronate, which means that they turn in and my arches are flat, so I'm kind of knock-kneed.

Whenever I've had to walk really long distances or for an extended period of time, or stand up on figure skates (which I tried many times growing up, spending time at rinks watching my champion figure-skater little sister), and more recently on skis, my legs and especially my knees get fatigued really quickly. My theory is that it's because my feet are positioned improperly, my ankles can't quite support my legs like they should, and things sort of fall apart.

While I can't be certain, I'm pretty sure this is what caused my knee injury. Despite being fitted for special shoes at our local running store after being video taped running on a treadmill (a funny story for another day), I think I overdid it and the pressure was too much. I'm not a small girl, and my knees had to bear a lot of weight.

After my injury, Andy took me shopping at the medical supply store at our local orthopedic hospital. Every girl's dream, right? I got a knee brace (the ones at the drugstore didn't fit my chubby leg... humiliating) and some Superfeet insoles. I don't need the brace anymore (yay!), but the Superfeet will be staying in my running shoes permanently. In conjunction with my physical therapy exercises, I'm working on strengthening the muscles that have been dormant pretty much my whole life.



So even with a physical limitation that I used to think was a complete deal breaker, there are ways to work around and accommodate. No more excuses!

No comments:

Post a Comment