Saturday, January 23, 2010

If the Shoe Fits...

Getting fitted for running shoes was a completely new experience for me. We live in one of the best running towns in the world (the nickname is Tracktown USA, and the U.S. Olympic Team track & field trials were held here in 2008-- the same week as our wedding). So there are obviously a lot of great resources for runners, including a fantastic locally owned running store.

Andy and I went there over lunch one day, and I got really excited about picking from the dozens of awesome-looking shoes on the wall. They had us each run shoe-less on the treadmill and video-taped our feet as we ran to see what, if any, correction we needed in a shoe (i.e. for my overpronation).

So the very serious-looking saleswoman went into the back and brought out a box with a pair of shoes for me to try. She opened the box, and sitting inside were the plainest, ugliest pair of boring white sneakers I ever did see. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm no shoe maven... I wish I cared more about fashion and shoes and style. But I am in love with color, and as long as there were yellow shoes on the wall, I sure as hell wasn't getting plain white.

So the conversation went a little like this:
Amy: So... um... is that the base model that you build off of? Or is that the exact shoe that I would need to get for my foot type?
Serious Salesgirl: I'm not sure I understand the question.
Andy: Let me translate. She wants to know if they come in pretty colors.

He knows me so well!

It turned out that my remedial shoes didn't come in extra special pretty colors, but I was fairly satisfied with eventual options, walking out of there with these.

Far More Important Than They Look

So far, especially with the addition of Superfeet, they're taking really good care of me. Maybe someday I'll get my yellow shoes!

1 comment:

  1. Yay! Glad they're working out for you so far! I have a strong aversion to plain white shoes, too. (They make my feet look like giant marshmallows.)

    ReplyDelete