Tuesday, January 26, 2010

A Little Emotional

I successfully completed Week 3 Day 2 of Couch to 5k tonight!

Last week, it was a huge, huge challenge for me to run 90 seconds straight without stopping. One of the hardest things I've ever asked my body to do. This week my workouts are 2 90-second runs and 2 3-minute runs, all mixed up and with some walking in between. I wouldn't say the short runs were easy, necessarily, but I loved it. I didn't feel like I was going to die when they were over. I felt like I was flying. I may or may not have shed a few happy tears when I got home and processed what I had just pushed myself to do.

I have a feeling that I'm going to start noticing that sensation (awe, maybe?) more and more as I build my endurance.

I had a million reasons not to go out for my run tonight, but I did. If I had stayed home, I would have missed out on running under the stars (a rarity around here in the winter), past the frogs making silly noises in the pond and the discovery of my new favorite running song, The Bitch Went Nuts by Ben Folds. It's hilarious.

I'm happy.

4 comments:

  1. I'm happy too. This is just...great. xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. My story to yours is really similar in the sense that I never was a runner and never thought I could be a runner. Then, last year, there was this big race in Spokane, WA that is called Bloomsday that everybody runs. It was about three weeks before my wedding and we were moving thereafter...so I thought, why not try and run it? It was kind of one of those things that I had to do before I left. Getting in shape for it was really difficult, and the day after the race I thought I had died I was so sore. But now that I'm training for new races I have noticed that mentally I am so much stronger then I was before. When it used to be difficult to run a mile, I now start with 3 miles...and I have not ran for months! Your body and mind just changes and it becomes so much easier. I love your blog name, and look forward to hearing how your big race turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, this made me tear up a bit on your behalf! And yay for not feeling like you're going to die! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats, dear! You are really coming along. And that IS one great song. Knew you had exceptional taste. ;)

    ReplyDelete