Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Back in Action!

I had the best workout of my life last night. I know I'm prone to hyperbole, but I'm serious.

Even though I finished a 5k last weekend, I'm still working on finishing out the Couch to 5k program, which has been lengthened quite a bit because of sickness, injury, and life. Last night was Week 8, Day 2: a 28-minute run. I had had a crummy day. Nothing awful, just busy at work, feeling tension in my neck, back, and shoulders, exhausted from thinking about big life plans, and starting to develop my like-clockwork monthly migraine a little on the early side.

As soon as I started jogging, though, everything went away. The part that was new for me was that it wasn't a struggle in the slightest. It wasn't terribly easy, but for the first time it truly felt great to run. Almost like I was floating. Weird. The stars must have been aligned... it was a cool-ish, dry evening, the music that came through on my shuffle was the best, and most importantly, my body and mind were finally ready to conquer that 28 minutes. I even did an all-out sprint (instead of just mildly picking up the pace) for the last minute.

I've had big lapses of confidence recently around worrying whether I can actually continue to make progress after making so much already, and my ability to push through to run longer and someday maybe even faster. But last night proved to me that it's possible. Because if that felt so great, there's no doubt I can push a little further and a little further after that until someday this Fall I reach 13.1.

1 comment:

  1. SO awesome! We started that program last fall, but some life circumstances got in the way. I want to start again. I don't have a half marathon in mind (just yet), but I'd love to be able to run a full 5K. Some people think that's nothing (aka runners), but I don't run at all, so I would be super proud to run an entire 5K! SO: You motivated me to start again. Let's see if I can ignore the rain and do it anyway :)

    ReplyDelete