Thursday, March 18, 2010

Update

Oh hello little running blog, I didn't see you there!

I've certainly let our time together slip, haven't I? Let me assure you it's not because I've fallen off the running wagon. Things haven't exactly been going at a regular pace, but I'm still very much in the game.

First, the biggest and best news: last week we made hotel reservations for Disneyworld! They finally announced the special race deals/travel packages and I called and booked almost immediately. It's still really far ahead of time, and we don't even know where we'll be traveling from at this point, but we're going, no matter what. If one of us isn't up to running for whatever reason, we'll walk til they pull us off the course. But WE'RE GOING TO DISNEYWORLD!



In other news, the training has been coming really slowly. In one of my last posts, I wrote about how my body was having a hard time absorbing all the shock I was giving it for the first time ever. On my next run after I wrote that (inside on the treadmill, it was pouring, ick), I couldn't finish the workout. I fought and tried (stopped and walked a few times, etc.) but my legs just wouldn't go. I felt defeated but also knew unequivocally then that I needed to take a little break to give my legs time to heal. So on my next running day, I walked. I rested a total of 5 days I think, and then last weekend picked it back up again, starting with 8.1.

In preparation for our first 5k this weekend (eep!), we headed out to the race course to get to know it a bit. It was a challenge, but I did my 28 minutes and just over 2 miles. The race is in such a gorgeous spot and I'm really looking forward to it.

In other bumming news, though, I got sick this week so that threw off my training again. I'm planning on going out tonight even though I'm not completely better. Last chance before Saturday's race!

I'm feeling okay about the fact that there's a really good chance I won't be able to run the full 5k, seeing as though I've never even tried to run much more than 2 miles. But my friend (coach?!) Anne said that when she's raced in the past she's gone much farther than ever, so that gives me hope and inspiration. Regardless, just going out there and finishing, regardless of the time, will be a huge milestone and I'm really looking forward to it. And I'll set a really slow personal record for the next time I can actually run a 5k!

So, good things are happening, they're just happening slowly. Yay for staying positive and sticking with it, especially when it feels like it would be much easier to just not.

1 comment:

  1. You'll be able to do it! The endorphins on race day will kick in and push you through!

    One thing I do while training for 5Ks is force myself to do 3.3 miles or more every time I train. Even if I have to walk. I never worry about my time, just about the mileage. That way when it gets to race day I am always like "Well I know I can at least FINISH! I do in my training." For some reason mentally it helps me.

    Good luck! You'll do great!

    ReplyDelete