Sunday, March 7, 2010

When You Feel Like Quitting...

When I first started running, Andy taught me a trick that has been so, so helpful. I used it at least 10 times tonight, and it kept me going the whole way. It sounds really obvious, but I wouldn't have ever thought of it on my own.

When you feel like stopping, quitting, walking, going home, just wait. Wait 10 seconds or 30, or wait until you pass that next tree or telephone pole. Re-evaluate. This surprised me a lot at first, but I almost never still feel like quitting by the time I hit that milestone.

Of course, sometimes (like tonight), I have to keep repeating the process, but still. It keeps me going. Maybe it'll keep you going too?

3 comments:

  1. That's *exactly* what I do when I'm practicing. Exactly. Once I actually motivate myself to start, that is. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do this, too--not just with running, but with swimming. I'll set a small, easily reached goal, make it, and keep going with another small and easy goal. It gets the job done--but Wendy's right, the starting is sometimes the hardest part. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi amy! i'm just getting caught up on your last few posts... first of all, i'm incredibly proud of and happy for you for being such a trooper, even despite all the obstacles of starting up a new exercise program (this is in response to your "I CAN" post) - including all the challenging emotional and psychological hurdles. you're awesome!

    second, i agree with you (and andy) 100% here - i do the same thing with my training and try to set small, manageable goals... and sometimes i really surprise myself with what i can accomplish when i don't let my pesky brain get in the way! ;)

    ReplyDelete